Thursday, November 12, 2009

Oops or How NOT To Get Ahead in Business

A little back story first. I work for a large health care organization and my department is trying to get a certification from another large organization that will give us some more clout in the world of health care. We missed receiving the certification by one measly little point. Not a big deal you can appeal the decision. So I look at the instructions to appeal and we only have four more days and that is not going to happen. I call the decision maker to find out how to get an extension on the appeal and leave a VERY professional voicemail asking for a return call with the information I need and continue on about my day. Okay so you need to know I have caller ID on my desk phone and I see my hubby's work number come up so I answer the phone H-E-L-L-O to the jello tune (dorky I know), only it's not my husband! He works for the same company as the man I left a message for and the phone numbers all show up the same on caller ID for security purposes. That is right, I sang hello to the decision maker I had called earlier!!! I could have just died right then. My face was immediately on fire and I can imagine what color it was. Jeez. Luckily the man was very amused by my gaff and said that granting my extension shouldn't be a problem. Whew!! I guarantee I will always answer the phone in my "professional" voice from now on. What a day!

2 comments:

  1. Too funny! How come you never answer the phone like that for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left you something on my blog!

    ReplyDelete