Saturday, August 22, 2009

30

I have been thirty for a week and a day now. I gotta tell you, it's not what I expected. I thought "30" meant being done. Done establishing myself. Done learning who I am. Done wondering what direction my life is going to go. Done. In some ways I guess I am done; I have a wonderful husband, a new baby girl, a good job with a boss I can actually say I respect and admire, a house, a church where I feel I belong and a great family and group of friends. Even in respect to those things I'm not even close to being done.
What I am learning at thirty is that my wonderful husband and I won't ever be done working to make our marriage better. I believe that work will continue our entire lives together. We certainly aren't done making a home for our daughter and we aren't even done having children. I know that I am not done developing my relationship with God and now realize that will be ever evolving. It's fair to assume my current boss will not be my last boss and the place I've worked for over five years may not be where I have my career. I am also not done learning to be a better daughter, sister and friend.
I thought there would be comfort in being done but now I know that the true comfort is that my life is always changing and there will always be more to do until my time on earth is truly done. That may sound like a lot of insight for a week and day but what can I say, I'm thirty.

No comments:

Post a Comment