Monday, July 31, 2006

You know what I hate?

I'll tell you. It is song remakes. I don't mind them in and of themselves, it is more the people who listen to the remakes. Take Cheryl Crow's - The First Cut for example. I have heard a lot of people say they like that song and almost nobody say they sure are glad Cat Stevens wrote and recorded it all those years ago. That just drives me crazy. Now there is this band called Gnarls Barkley. Don't get me wrong, I like them and their music, but they did a cover of Gone Daddy Gone. I was singing to it in a store and the clerk said he didn't know anyone had heard it yet. I explained to him that I had heard it - in the 90's when the Violent Femmes did it. I have been accused of being a music snob and if that is true I am proud of it. It just drives me batty when people hear all of these "new" songs by these artists today and have no idea of the musical history that is there.
I am sure there are many others, like the countless samples on the radio, but I gather you get the point. Please go back and listen to the originals of all of these songs you like today, you may just like the original better.

No comments:

Post a Comment